Well readers, I don’t know if there are really any of you out there anymore because of my complete lack of dedication to my blog. If you’re still reading, thanks. Now that it’s August and I just returned from my WINTER vacation, I should finish writing about my SUMMER vacation so that I can eventually write about the vacation I was just on. Jajaja.
OK, so way, way, way back at the end of January after finishing my tour of the South of Chile, I flew back to Santiago, spent one day doing laundry and organizing my life, and then headed to the airport bright and early the next morning to visit my first visitor to Chile—Maureen, one of my best friends from high school! It was so amazing to see her and show her around my new stomping grounds.
Maureen and I spent a couple of days in and around Santiago. We visited all of the typical Santiago sights—Cerro Santa Lucia, Cerro San Cristobal, la Plaza de Armas, el Mercado Central, and lots of other cool places. We indulged in delicious meals and I introduced Maureen to her first taste of South American nightlife with my roommates. A true New Yorker, she adapted like a champ to the 5 AM nights.
After a few days, we took a bus to Valparaiso, a funky beach town two hours north of Santiago. Valparaiso is one of the top ten most colorful cities in the world and has a unique bohemian, port town, artsy, coast town flavor. We visited one of Pablo Neruda-Chile’s poet-laureate’s- many homes, which was pretty awesome. It had a funky decorating style and the museum painted a great picture of how he worked to create such masterful poetry. We wandered around Valpo and its hilly, twisty, extremely confusing roads, befriending the many stray dogs that live in the city. Maureen, I might add, did not adapt as well to the South American stray dog phenomenon as she did to South American nightlife, but we both survived. In our trip to Valparaiso we took an excursion to another coastal town called Con-Con, famous for its giant dunes. We also baked in the sun in another beach town called Riñaca. I had not had much beach time and Maureen was coming out of straight up winter, so we both relished in the sun. Maureen took some beach mobile upload photos to “sacar pica” to all of the neoyorquinos (New Yorkers) freezing their butts of back home.
One highlight of this part of the trip was tracking down lofts that Maureen had researched and found out about before our trip. One of my favorite qualities of Maureen is her random obsessions. She put me on a wild goose hunt to find these lofts in Valparaiso that she loved because of their architecture and design. After following the circuitous streets of Valparaiso, being pursued by street dogs, and eventually hailing a taxi, we found the esteemed lofts and Maureen was in bliss. The pictures show it!


Valpo's coast in the distance.
We spent a quick night and morning in Santiago and then flew to Buenos Aires. Buenos Aires is where the fun really started. We put ourselves into tourist overdrive the first day, taking down all of the major tourist attractions: Museo de Bellas Artes, Cemeterio de la Recoleta, the main government building at which the famous Evita scene was filmed, etc. That night we got all fancied up, went to a way-too-nice-we-shouldn’t-be-eating-here sort of steak house and hit the night- life along Puerto Madero. We had a fantastic night dancing the night away and returned to our hotel (shamefully) as we saw some people going to work! (whoops!)


No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario