I ran in my first Ecuadorian road race a couple of weeks ago! It was called “ruta de las Iglesias” and is an annual night race that hits all of the major churches in the city and really offers some spectacular views. It was a wonderful way to experience the city and view it from a different perspective. I went to the race with Laura, who is an ND friend here in Quito. It was tons of fun! A couple of quick observations:
1. I thought I was going to die because of the altitude, but I didn’t! I actually felt great.
2. Here, there were literally tons of men who were probably in their 60s that were keeping if not surpassing my pace. Talk about motivation to get in shape.
3. It appears that in Ecuador, it’s completely acceptable to dress your dog in a t-shirt and have him run with you.
4. The water here is distributed in little plastic bags instead of cups.
5. Running a race at night is way more fun than running one early in the morning.
6. Lindsay and/or TL, if you are reading this, both of your presences were definitely missed. You both would have loved running this!
7. It was bizarre to run a race in which there were no mile markers and only kilmoter markers. I’m going to have to get used to that.
8. I don’t have any photos of the race, so if you’re interested in checking it out more, visit this website: http://www.rutadelasiglesias.com/inicio.html
metric > customary.
ResponderEliminarRunning is always the best way to explore/experience a place...in my opinion :) SO glad you did this.