
I am already slipping on my blogging! Those of you who care to read, please start bugging me to keep me accountable. Anyway, here are some highlights from last weekend’s trip to Otavalo. If you have no idea what Otavalo is all about (I didn’t until a week ago), I suggest you google it, because my pictures simply do not do the place justice.

This is just one booth in the market. It can't come close to capturing the entire place.
Unless you are in my immediate family, you probably do not understand this reference. The “swingset fund” refers to the money my mother started saving back when we were wee ones because she deemed it absolutely necessary that we have a swingset in our backyard. From then on, any money that Jan chose to lavish on us O’Leary kids was “fondly” referred to by my dad as the “swingset fund.” Suffice it to say that if I wanted to, I could have spent enough money at the markets in Otavalo last weekend to build swingsets for every single Ecuadorian child. THAT is how AMAZING these markets were! I simply have never witnessed such incredible markets in my life. We took a $2 bus ride to Otavalo early Saturday morning and arrived to rows upon rows upon rows of amazing artisan craftsmanship. Acapulco sweaters, beautiful, detailed paintings, hand-made pottery, embroidered bags, funky jewelry, fresh foods, and much, much more lined the streets of this humble Ecuadorian town that boasts a large indigenous population and is famous for its markets, which are open daily. We basically spent the whole day wandering throughout the markets, trying to barter with the vendors (another reason why I could have used Jan and her New York sass), and taking in the incredible craftsmanship. Despite my talk of buying out the markets, I was actually quite self-controlled and only purchased one item for myself—a pair of socially-acceptable pajama pants that are commonly worn by Ecuadorians, which I proceeded to wear out to dinner that night!
3. Hiking with bulls
So the long and short of it is that I got to interact with these kids on Friday and I immediately fell in love with all of them. The minute we entered the center, we were greeted by a hoard of kids who ran up to us, hugging us, introducing themselves, and wanting to hang out with us. One little girl took my hand and proudly gave me a tour of the center. Then the kids taught us every single game Ecuadorian children play; cultural variations of London Bridges, David and Goliath, etc. Imagine a group of adorable Ecuadorians chanting in Spanish as three gringos try to keep up. After hanging out with the kids at the center for a while, we went with them to a rooftop of a nearby building which offered a beautiful view of some of the surrounding mountains. Some of the kids at the center had been practicing for most of the summer for a dance recital, so we went to watch them on top of this roof. It was really pretty surreal. The kids were all dressed in white dancing to the Ecuadorian version of Enya. One little boy from the center sat next to me the entire time, clinging on to my arm and smiling at me. I was astounded by how polite, hospitable, well-behaved, and genuinely happy all of the kids seemed. One of them bought an ice cream and insisted that I have part of it. Though these kids have nothing, they seem to have a lot more right than I do at times. They all asked when we would be coming back and seemed genuinely excited to have some new friends. I had such a great time and plan on visiting the center at least once a week, if not more, for my remaining weeks.
That’s all for now, though I have some updates about this past weekend’s epic hike coming soon. Hope everyone is doing well!

keep writing!! i care! did you do the hike in ballet flats and pet like 500 feral cats along the way??
ResponderEliminarThe O'Leary family could take that pie down in a minute. In fact, we probably would order a second.
ResponderEliminarAlso, those pants are ridic. I can imagine you loving pajama pants that are socially acceptable to wear in public. They're like Ecuadorian yoga pants. Jan would like that.
By the looks of the picture of a table full of amazing-jewelry-that-has-Kaitlyn's-name-a-over-it you certainly win the prize for self control by way of walking away with only.....pajama pants?
ResponderEliminarTL--It was quite rough to walk away. I was thinking of you as well because the jewelry basically had your name all over it too!
ResponderEliminarRegina--No feral cats but stray dogs abound here. I definitely missed you, your ballet flats, and "the bars."
Lauren--You're so right. P would def order two.